Originally built as the Famaka for the Khedivial Mail Steamship & Graving Dock Co. From 1927 she was chartered by the AUSN Co and renamed Ormiston. Ownership changed in 1933 to Eastern Traders of Hong Kong and then to St Mary Axe Securities Ltd, but remained under charter to AUSN. Purchased outright by the Australian United Steam Navigation Co Ltd of Melbourne (AUSN) in 1936.
Pre war it was used for the Melbourne - Cairns route in winter, and during summer months, Melbourne to Brisbane as a cruise ship. She was capable of carrying from 200- 235 passengers.
She was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine off Coffs harbour in 1943, but survived and was repaired to complete her war service. In 1946 she was handed back to her owners and in 1955 sold to a Greek shipping company and renamed Atlantic. Renamed again in 1956 to Atlanticos, she was sent to the breakers in November 1957.